Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Last Nights Biggest Loser Opened Eyes

How many of you watched The Biggest Loser? I thought it was one of the best episodes because it really focused on teaching the importance of changing your diet. My favorite example given last night was the pops compared to eating a bowl of sugar. What a fantastic way to truly show everyone what they are consuming by drinking pops or even sweet teas. Many people don't even realize if they would just eliminate sodas and sweet teas from their daily diet they would start to see changes in their weight. I never understood this before beginning my weight loss journey that every glass of tea I was consuming a day from a very well known fast food chain was adding on more weight to my body. I was drinking a large sweet tea at 270 calories a cup and 57 grams of sugar. On average I drank about 1350 calories of sweet tea and consumed 285 grams of sugar a day! WOW! The normal person should only consume 35 grams of sugar in a day! I was on fast track to diabetes. My family has a history of diabetes and one of my grandparents passed away due to complications from diabetes.

Our children are suffering from our poor eating habits and because Americans have become lazy and want the quick fix to everything and here they are; fast food, convenience foods in a box, surgeries for weight loss, diet pills and so much more. Our children are being affected by our poor choices. One third of our children are suffering from some sort of disease like Type 1, Type 2, pre-diabetes or metabolic syndrome X. More children are overweight now in this country and why? One of the main reasons why is because they are thrown fast food in the back seat of the car. Another is because their parents purchase foods like sugar filled cereals, donuts, boxed macaroni and cheese, pop tarts, Vitamin D milk, pops, and potato chips. Your children can't go to the grocery store and shop you have to make the right choices for them and teach them healthy eating. Children struggle enough in school don't make matters worse for them by helping them become overweight.

Take action and take it now. Get involved with the challenge and start making changes for yourself and your family! If you don't do it who will?

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,
    Thank you so much being such an encouragement. I can honestly say I look forward to sending you my weight on Monday's! I am sad that I missed the Biggest Loser last night, but I was exercising with a friend. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete