Monday, December 14, 2009

Finding the Courage



Here is a wonderful success story by Lauri one of our Skinny Moms! If you want to share your successes please email me.


Before

When I was in high school I was always athletic and never worried about what I ate or drank. I was on the go all the time, so fast food became a way of life. My first year of college while most people gain weight I stayed pretty slim and maintained the same weight that I was in high school...I kept the same eating habits, which weren't good. Fast food at least once a day and the other stuff just junk like chips, sodas, candy, etc. Dorm food!

I met my husband and had a baby and packed on a ton of weight. I was 123 lbs when I got pregnant with Cole, and was 193 lbs when he was born. He had a rough time and I was stressed so I managed to get down to about 150 lbs pretty quick after he was born, but my eating was terrible. I would eat late at night and I would eat out every single day usually for breakfast and lunch! About 9 months after Cole was born, I got pregnant with my second child, Belle. Again, I ballooned up to about 210 lbs when I delivered her and I was so big they did 3 ultrasounds just to make sure I wasn't having twins (how embarrassing!!!). At this point I was going crazy trying all kinds of crash diets trying to lose the weight I had packed on, but nothing was working.

My marriage was not going as planned and so I think I just ate to comfort myself! I lost some weight when I would get stressed, but gained it right back. Finally, after calling my first marriage quits, I decided to lose a little weight. By this time I was about 190 lbs! Still way over what I should have weighed. I started dating my current husband and he had lost a ton of weight and he and my mom had even bought me a gym membership to trial, but I was too lazy to go and came up with a million excuses not to go. When Rodney asked me to marry him, we knew we wanted a beach wedding and I didn't want to be embarrassed in a swimsuit, so I tried dieting and going to some exercise classes and lost about 25 lbs. By that time (late 2006-early 2007) I was about 165 lbs. After we got married in February, I gained back all that I had lost and maintained a constant 185-190 lbs.

I was so embarrassed to even go to the doctor because I just couldn't keep the weight off. Finally, fed up with myself, I asked for help from one of the ladies I work with. In January, 2009, I weighed 189 lbs and decided I had had enough! We started a competition at work to lose some weight but we had to do it healthy. She taught us how to eat the right portions and to count calories. She gave us hints for snacks and dinners and how to order out at a restaurant. Slowly, the weight was coming off. The first week, I lost 6.5 lbs and felt great! I felt like I could really do it if I put my mind to it and that was my first real effort to lose weight the right way. By April, I had lost about 20 lbs and it was warmer so I added walking to my daily things to do. I started just walking around the block, but within two weeks I was walking about 3 miles a day. By this point it was a consistent 2 pound per week weight loss.

We started a second challenge at work and I won!!! I also joined the Skinny Mom Challenge as a second challenge to myself! I had lost some serious weight and felt great. I even went out and bought a new wardrobe. I looked and felt better than I had in years!!! I was a size 10 at that point and was thinking to myself, "You won't get any smaller than this, so just be content!" I was so wrong! I kept up with my calorie counting and every time I went to eat with my family I would plan ahead and know exactly what to order! I even got my kids eating healthier like getting the apples instead of fries and chicken instead of the other meats!

Since this past January I have lost a total of almost 52 lbs. All by just getting off the couch and making an effort to change the way I thought about food. It is your bodies’ fuel! I don't use it as a crutch and I don't starve myself, I just make healthier choices and watch my portions. I also cut out ALL soda (even diet)! I drink lots and lots of water and unsweet tea and eat lots of nuts, almonds, berries, apples, veggies, etc. I also count calories and maintain my count so I know exactly what and how many I have to spare. I now belong to a gym where I try to go 3-5 days a week AND I work out at home with my Wii fit! The Skinny Mom Challenge has also helped me to hold myself accountable. When you are held accountable you seem to make better choices!! I love the feel of walking in the sunshine and going to an exercise class and how your adrenaline gets going! It is amazing to think that I weigh what I did in high school, only now I am actually healthy and eating the right things for me!

The most important thing to know is that anyone can do this!! I never thought I would wear a size 6 again (I didn't even wear a size 6 in high school!!!!!), but now I look and feel a thousand times better than I did a year ago. This is a life change so make the leap! It's well worth it!!!!!

Lauri

Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment