Monday, June 20, 2011

Creative Juices in the Kitchen

This evening I was trying to determine what to make for dinner. I was in the mood for some Mexican food but I also know if I eat out the high fat and high sodium is not good for me or my family. Instead I decided to make something at home. I have several friends who always wonder how I make something up and I'm not sure. I think it's because after two years of eating clean I have learned a lot of tricks. Armed with my grocery list here is what I ended up with;

  • 1 tsp. Cumin
  • 1 tsp. Chili Powder
  • Red pepper (1)
  • Scallions (1)
  • Garlic (3 cloves)
  • Cilantro
  • Low Sodium Chicken Broth (4 cups)
  • Reduced Sodium Red Kidney Beans (1 can)
  • Reduced Sodium Black Beans (1 can)
  • Large Can of Tomato Sauce
  • No Sodium Diced Tomato's
  • Microwave Steamer Sweet Corn
  • Shrimp- Cooked
  • 1 tbsp. Olive Oil


     


     

Dice red pepper, scallion, and garlic clove and sauté with 1 tbsp olive oil

Broil shrimp or grill (option cover in your favorite Mexican seasoning)

Mix all ingredients into a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes

I'm not sure what to name it. Maybe I will call it Spicy Mexican Shrimp Soup.

This was an awesome slightly spicy treat that the whole family enjoyed!

2

No comments:

Post a Comment