Saturday, May 26, 2012

Be Prepared

Its summer time and time to hit the pool go boating and enjoy many activities outside. Today my kids and I spent the day swimming at a friend’s. Before I left the house I prepared food, gathered snacks and packed a lot of water. I am normally a one to one and half gallon of water a day kind of girl but during the warmer months I drink a minimum of two gallons. It’s very important to stay well hydrated in the summer. One of my favorite drinks to add is https://www.advocare.com/11118654/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=A2414&id=E&flavor=K&size=C Rehydrate; it replaces the electrolytes that are lost during the hot days. It’s very important to replenish your body with electrolytes, amino acids and carbohydrates all of these will keep your muscles from cramping and keep your kidneys functioning properly during extreme conditions. Today I loaded the cooler with; • Natural Peanut Butter • Apple • Nitrate Free Ham • Pineapples, strawberries and blackberries • Hummus • Corn tortillas (small) • Broccoli and Cauliflower (raw) • Water- an extra gallon and several bottles for the kids • Protein shake Why should you be prepared? It’s important to keep your insulin levels in check especially while out in hot weather. It’s difficult to get the kids out of the pool to snack or to even drink water and once we arrived home they couldn’t get enough to eat from all the energy they burned while swimming. Four hours of swimming for a child is a lot of calories burned. My daughter had part of a strawberry protein shake and a ham sandwich and my son had a ham sandwich too. Poor baby is fast asleep on the couch. Remember keep you and your family fed and hydrated this summer to avoid over eating and most importantly to avoid dehydration.

No comments:

Post a Comment