Monday, July 1, 2013

Finding My Way: Primal Eating


I’ve been trying to eat more primal lately and this seems to be a trial and error thing for me.  I started reading the book It Starts with Food by Dallas & Melissa Hartwig.  I’ve eliminated grains, peanuts, beans and I’m almost off of milk.  I’m weaning myself off of skim milk in my Americanos.


It’s funny the comments I’ve received regarding the Paleo eating habits.  One of my favorite comments so far, “The Caveman didn’t live a very long life”.  Really, was this due to their diet or because of extreme weather conditions, lack of adequate shelter, harsh terrain and accidents, lack of food during animal migration periods or the lack of medical attention? 

Our lifespan is much greater but it comes with a higher price.  Today we are living longer but suffering from major diseases; cancer, obesity, heart disease, Type II Diabetes and much more.  I’m sure that many people who suffer from these various health issues would gladly turn back the clock, change their eating and lifestyle habits in order to avoid suffering such prolonged miserable deaths. 

We really need to look at the evidence; a poor diet in our fast nation has got the best of us.  The United States is the most obese country.  We are beginning to test our children at the early age of 10 for high cholesterol and guess what it’s not only obese children they are finding with high cholesterol.  Wake up every one!

I noticed just within the first week of changing my eating and eliminating grains that my stomach felt so much better and the inflammation in my neck had subsided.  I had a meal just this past week that included bread and I felt horrible.  I had severe stomach pains and my stomach was hard as a brick.  I can assure you it really wasn’t worth all of that pain.  I’m not saying you need to be an extremist but I am saying try to change your eating and eliminate grains and dairy for a week and see how you feel.  Make a note of how you feel if you slip up and have something from these two groups. 

This is a work in progress.   I will get it but I’m being realistic and I know it will take some time to fully change my habits.  I don’t have a problem avoiding processed, zero nutrient foods like sugar pastries or chips.  I’m focusing on eliminating the foods that upset my digestive system or cause inflammation in my joints. 

An example of the inflammation for me is chronic neck pain.  I have arthritis in my neck and the week and a half that I fully eliminated dairy and grains I was pain free.  I had a rough day celebrating my daughter’s graduation and consumed a cheeseburger on a bun and I had beer; now the pain is back. 

 

If you want to join me in trying to eat more primal I would love your support and feedback about how it’s working for you! Email me at skinnymomchallenge@gmail.com

 

Best of Luck!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment