Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Food: The Instant Pleasure but Horrible Pain


During my pregnancy with my oldest son I was horribly sick after eating dairy.  I had violent stomach pains, nausea and vomiting.  I worked with a lady that used natural remedies and she determined it was the dairy and that HE was intolerant.

When my son was born he did great while I was breastfeeding.  At about three months old I had to supplement feed him because I couldn’t keep up with his feedings.  At birth he weighed 9lbs. 12oz. and by three months he was almost 15 pounds.  Once we began bottle feeding him he made these horrible sounds when he was breathing.  He was treated for bronchitis several times because the doctor believed that’s what he had due to the rumbling sound he made while breathing.  At age six months I decided I couldn’t take anymore sleepless nights because of the fear I had from his labored breaths and we met a pediatrician.  At that time he was diagnosed with lactose intolerance, asthma and a heart murmur.  Once we stopped the dairy based formula feedings and started treatment for asthma he was better.

Fast forward fourteen years later and he’s able to understand how horrible dairy foods make him feel.  Today he told me he’s noticing after he has dairy products like milk, cheese and ice cream he feels miserable.  Since I’ve began following the Paleo eating I have noticed a lot less inflammation in my neck and I’m hoping I can incorporate this eating style in his diet. 

What pains are you willing to accept to eat foods that give you that euphoric feeling?  I’ve decided that no matter how great the pleasure is from a food it’s not worth the pain and discomfort it brings later.  The horrible stomach pains or the painful joints aren’t acceptable to me.  It’s important to listen to your body.  Be mindful when you eat and take note of how you feel before eating.   Write down what you eat and how you feel after you’ve eaten those foods.  Once you do this you may begin to recognize a pattern.  Then you need to determine what you are willing to accept. 

I know when I did my first cleanse and eliminated dairy, breads, and all starches I noticed an extreme change in my stomach.  I no longer had the bloated look and I felt much better.  If you or your children are feeling discomfort after you eat, it’s probably time to reevaluate your diet.  Find what works best for you and your family and take little steps to begin eliminating the things that are harming you.

 
 

Good luck!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment