Friday, July 10, 2015

One Size Doesn't Fit All When Training

One Size Doesn't Fit All

It’s important as a trainer to understand that everyone doesn’t have the same goals nor can they perform the same exercises.   I have met many people over the past six years.  I have heard so many different goals over these past six years.  Some of the goals include;
·         Exercising consistently
·         Decreasing cholesterol
·         Losing as little as five pounds or as much as 60
·         Keep up with grandkids
·         Become pregnant
·         Maintain current level of health
·         Complete pull-ups, push-ups or max deadlifts
·         Decrease stress, anxiety or help with depression
·         Improve self-confidence
·         Set a good example for my kids

Fitness isn’t a one size fits all!  I train a small group (15 people max) class because I want to be able to provide one on one training with clients.  I have clients with various abilities.  I have moms who are extremely strong and moms beginning to take care of themselves again.  I have clients with previous injuries and recovering from by-pass surgery.  When I plan a class and post their workout I really emphasis that it is “their workout”.  What does “their workout” mean?  It means that we are working within their abilities.  If they cannot perform a squat we utilize a box with plates (stacked on it) and we work on their hips mobility/flexibility.  If there are existing shoulder injuries use light weight tension bands instead of weight and slowly progress them only when they are able.  Understand that some clients cannot do burpees because they are on medications or have blood pressure issues.  I even had a client with inner ear problems that cannot do up/down motions.  Realize some clients are on beta blockers which affects their heart rate.  You need to know what medications your clients are on!

My goal in training clients is to provide them the opportunity to become healthy within their own individual abilities.  In addition I want to provide exercises that will help my clients perform tasks of daily living.  Aging decreases muscle strength, muscle mass, flexibility and causes balance issues.  It’s important to work on all of these to maintain a good quality of life.  Giving clients a workout just to run them into the ground isn’t a good idea.  This increases the risk of an individual becoming hurt and decreases any chance of getting referrals. 

Be sure to complete a health risk screening on your clients.  This will allow you to properly program their training.  I use kettlebells as a means of resistance and cardiovascular training because they are less damaging to the joints.  Kettlebell training does improve cardiovascular health, muscle endurance, muscle strength and flexibility.  I completed a half-marathon and trained with only kettlebells.  I didn’t spend months running before the race.  I completed the half marathon in 2:04 which is pretty dang good and I ran the entire race. 


If you are looking for a trainer Contact Me.  Register for my 6:00 a.m. M/W/F Small Group Class at the School of Strength located at Center Grove High School, Greenwood, IN. New Classes Begin in August! 

No comments:

Post a Comment